Sunday 18 October 2009

'Avin a reet good time in Blackburn!

The vagrant wanderer has now moved on to Blackburn. My current placement of Children's and Women's medicine has taken me to this new northern extreme, and I'm loving it! The pies are good, the countryside is a stones throw away (the accommodation is surrounded by rabbits), and the people are very friendly. The learning schedule is a bit on the intensive side, and I'm a wee bit concerned about the looming exams... however many subtle hints by the big Guy regarding his control and sovereignty are putting me in my place - I've been slowly working my way through the Bible section called Deuteronomy over the past month. The story begins with a wizened and elderly Moses, who has just finished leading the grumbling people of Israel on a forty year trek through the desert. Before he dies he wants to remind them one last time of all many things God has done for them, and the laws that he's given them to follow. They need to remember who God is, and to live like it, if they want to stay in the promised land... God knows that they won't manage it, and already there are many hints of the future provision of his saving mission through Jesus, something that happens almost a thousand years later. He's got it all in control! One section that has stuck in my mind is Chapter 10:15-17:

"Yet the LORD set his heart in love on your fathers and chose their offspring after them, you above all peoples, as you are this day. Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no longer stubborn. For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who is not partial and takes no bribe."

Thanks for reading, and please let me know your thoughts!


No comments: