Friday 16 April 2010

being sanctified

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own." Philippians 3:12

That very statement is key to endurance and joy "Christ Jesus has made me his own". All my reaching and yearning and striving is not to belong to Christ (which has already happened), but to complete what is lacking in my likeness to him.

"For by a single offering [namely himself] he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified" Hebrews 10:14


Passage taken from 'The Passion of Jesus Christ' (pages 48-49) by John Piper

1 comment:

Scott Thomson said...

Love it. I've been at New Word Alive this week listening to Jerry Bridges on grace. It's ridiculous how quickly I slip into a legalistic mindset.

The amazing truth is that even our striving to grow into his likeness is only possible through his strength, and only desired in us when he enables us to in his transforming grace. And so we can strive and struggle with sin with the incredible encouragement that we're not alone even in that.

Praise God!