Thursday 10 July 2008

Just the happenings...

Thought I better write a quick post of the happenings in the world of Aaron Poppleton, so that the time gaps on my blog dont get too long!

I'm still trying to work hard at the care home and am rapidly approaching the halfway point of my time there. A new rota has just come out and it looks like I may be working with a different set of people and perhaps even in a different kitchens in the near future - will tell you more of this earth shattering change of events in my next post! Hopefully I'll also have had chance to put my thoughts together on dementia (deteriorating brain function) and whether someone can choose to follow Christ (there a couple of residents who would have formerly said they were Christians). In other news we've gained five turkeys and have had nine chicken eggs hatch, with quite a few more eggs left in the incubator. The tomatoes, peppers, strawberries and onions are also starting to ripen. I'm learning how nature is amazing, especially seeing chicks hatch and then grow... development is far to well thought through to have originated by chance me thinks!

I've also now officially graduated (although my graduation certificate said Anna Poppleton... need to get that one changed!). After the graduation ceremony, I had a look at my house for next year and the realisation that I've left catered halls and will be daily cooking for myself has started to dawn. Should be able to get another look this weekend when I'm up in Manchester for the wedding of two friends, Joe and Gail.

Recently I've been reading a relatively short book of the bible, 1 Peter. I've learnt a few things, but I think one of the biggest things is that I often seem to superfically know and think I'm doing what the Bible tells me to, but when it comes down to it, I'm either too lazy or set in my ways to realise that the way I do things is still Aaron centred. The way I deal with possessions or the risk of people criticising what I believe are two things in particular. Still have a long way to go before I reach the great model there is in Christ - I'm glad that I'm not saved by my works but by his! And what a salvation that will be! So, the works of thanks shall continue!!!



Ps In addition to my reading, I've been listening to a series of sermons from a German church preached by Thorsten Uthardt - they're really good!

2 comments:

Tim Sandell said...

You need to post more regularly Anna! Looking forward to reading your next post :)

Anonymous said...

How are the turkeys doing now? I was thinking of them just yesterday! :) Keep me updated!